Chinese Area Studies Minor
Program Type: Minor
Department: World Languages and Cultures
The Chinese Area Studies minor prepares students to thrive as globally aware and cross-culturally competent citizens through a critical understanding of Chinese Language and culture.
Chinese Area Studies majors develop :
- Mandarin language communication skills
- Intercultural competence and a global perspective
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
Career possibilities include government, international relations, foreign service, immigration services, tourism, and entrepreneurship.
Admissions and Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarships, $750
- WLC Scholarship to support study abroad in China: $1500
- CAHSS Scholarships to support tuition and expenses: $1500--$5000
- China Center Scholarships to support study abroad: $1000
- Chinese Government Scholarships for single semester or academic year of study in China: all expense except airfare.
Chinese Language Learner's Club (CLLC) aims at increasing the Chinese language proficiency, cultural awareness and communications with the native speakers. Activities are organized every week each semester. Students with zero Chinese background are welcome as long as they are curious and tenacious.