About this Program
In the M.S. graduate program in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UMD, you are at the forefront of scientific knowledge.
- UMD’s on campus facilities provide ample opportunities for original research.
- The recently completed Heikkila Chemistry and Advanced Materials Science Building features 12 research labs with new, state-of-the-art equipment, and spaces for collaboration.
- UMD’s natural setting on the shores of Lake Superior means that you’ll have opportunities to do research at Large Lakes Observatory and Natural Resources Research Institute. Research partnerships are also available through the School of Medicine, the College of Pharmacy, and University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of core disciplines and specialization in a field of concentration.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the design and practice of research.
- Demonstrate proficiency in scientific oral and written communication.
- Demonstrate proficiency in leading a project, working collaboratively, and taking initiative in the laboratory.
- Be competent in cultural and international aspects of research.
50% of the students completing the program are enrolled in Ph.D. programs in universities nationwide, and others take jobs or enter professional schools.
To find out what our recent graduates are doing, see the Career and Internship Services Report: Follow-up of Majors
Admissions and Scholarships
The M.S. graduate program in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at UMD provides students with a variety of support, including assistantships of approximately $15,000 salary for the academic year plus tuition. Tuition is paid in full up to 14 credits per semester. Health insurance is available at reasonable rates to the graduate assistant and dependents.
Additional summer support of $4,500 is generally available to students working on their thesis research during the summer months. Award of a teaching assistantship is based on review of the application for admission.
Faculty research interests include:
- Inorganic & Bio-Inorganic Chemistry
- Drug Discoveries
- Computational Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Environmental and Aquatic Chemistry
- Materials Chemistry
- Biomedical Science
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Chemical Engineering