About this Program
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Environmental and Outdoor Education (EOE) familiarizes students with formal and informal outdoor education settings. It provides extensive training in outdoor education methodology and program delivery, with an emphasis on nature-based outdoor recreation.
The major prepares students for careers in the broad field of outdoor education, including adventure education, environmental interpretation, sustainability education, and environmental education.
- Core degree components include outdoor education methods, physical skills development, program planning, and delivery, management, evaluation, and principles of outdoor education and recreation
- Development of outdoor skills
- Students intern all over the U.S. and at many international sites (Australia, England, Finland, New Zealand)
- Theory/practice-based understanding
- Awareness of the value of outdoor and environmental education as part of healthy lifestyles and as an avenue for fostering environmental sustainability
Graduates go on to work in a variety of settings, such as environmental education centers, natural resource agencies, nonprofits, adventure education schools, adjudicated youth facilities, and high adventure camps.
- Effective outdoor instruction
- Grounds and facilities management
- Natural resource management for sustainability
- Business Owner
- Camp Adventure Director
- Environmental Educator
- Park Ranger
- Nature Center Staff
- Trail Guide
- Wilderness Therapy Instructor
- College Campus Recreation/ Programming
- Nature Center Director
- College Outdoor Program Director
Admissions and Scholarships
Environmental and Outdoor Education students are eligible to apply for multiple scholarships specifically for EOE students. One example is the James M. and M. Martha Ryan Scholarship awarded to students interested in pursuing careers in environmental safety and protection, or who are interested in working in the national or state park systems.
Students in CEHSP are eligible for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $370,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit the CEHSP scholarship webpage.
- Outdoor Educators Club
- Environmental Outdoor and Education Club
- Recreation Sports & Outdoor Program (RSOP) Department: RSOP facilities outdoor adventures, skill building, and practical application of many of the concepts in EOE.
- Internationally and nationally recognized in their field.
- Experts in Outdoor & Environmental Education teaching methods and outdoor skills with audiences ranging from early childhood to retirees.