About this Program
Are you passionate about outdoor pursuits, fitness activities, dance and rhythmic activities, aquatics, individual-performance activities, games and sports, lifetime activities, and working with children? We offer 21st-century physical education at UMD!
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Physical Education offers cutting-edge physical education with early and frequent authentic, hands-on teaching experiences that prepare students to be successful in student teaching, as well as in their future teaching positions.
Highlights of the program include:
- Early and frequent teaching experiences in K-12 settings.
- Students have various program possibilities at UMD
- Physical Education (PE)
- PE and Developmental Adapted Physical Education (DAPE) minor
- PE and Health
- PE Health, DAPE minor
- Physical Education Outdoor Education minor (PEOE)
- Coaching minor
- Experiences with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Small class sizes allow for more individual attention
- Faculty challenge students to become knowledgeable, skillful, and effective teachers in a global educational market.
- Eligibility for licensure in Physical Education, grades K-12
- Effective lesson plan creation and implementation with state and national standards
- Evidence-based assessment and evaluation techniques
- K-12 Physical Education Teacher (Outdoor/Adventure, DAPE, Health, and/or Coaching)
- Health Educator
- DAPE Specialist
- Fitness Leader
- Sports & Recreation Director
- Afterschool and Camp Programs Director
- Dean of Students
- School Counselor
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit the CEHSP scholarship webpage.
- Actively conduct research
- Currently or Previously Licensed in K-12 Physical Education
- K-12 Administrative experience
- Serve on national, state, and college committees
- Recipients of National Awards in their respective areas of expertise.
- Recipients of college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising, and service