Program Type: Major
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
In an ever-changing media environment, the Journalism major is designed to be innovative and dynamic while adhering to a critical understanding of media’s role in a diverse, global society. The major emphasizes community engagement and global competence. Students gain a toolbox of skills and a critical understanding of mass media.
- Strong focus on studying the role of journalism in a changing world.
- Personal connections between faculty and student.
- Customizable degree options based on student interests.
- Faculty with real-world, industry experience.
- Strong alumni network connects to our students to jobs and career mentoring.
- Demonstrate how the journalistic approach to problem solving and storytelling can produce locally engaged, globally competent citizens
- Demonstrate competence in a core set of Journalistic crafts in reporting, research and storytelling
- Express a critical understanding of the contextual factors that shape the media message
- Produce journalistic work that showcases an area of specialization that draws on the creativity and entrepreneurial spirit of the student
- Demonstrate a problem-solving approach to the practice of Journalism that will give the student confidence and professional agility to respond to a changing market
- Compile a portfolio that demonstrates work produced in a professional media setting.
Student Learning Outcomes (Assessment Plan in Progress)
Journalists are inquisitive. They want to know what’s going on in the world, and they want to know why. Journalists have a powerful urge to communicate. They want to share what they’ve learned.
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communication
- Health Communication
- Local Television News
- Multimedia Journalism
- Publishing (newspaper, magazine, book)
- Electronic media
- Graduate and Law School
Admissions and Scholarships
CAHSS is proud to be able to offer over 90 alumni and donor funded scholarships to our students each year. In total over $190,000 is awarded out to CAHSS majors and some minors as well. Each department facilitates the process for their specific scholarships and students are also encouraged to apply for CAHSS-wide scholarships offered to students in any field.
- The Larry Oakes Journalism Scholarship
- The Gustaf A. and Mary V. Nordin Memorial Scholarship
- The Steven R. Fox Journalism Scholarship
- Communication Club
- The Bark, UMD’s student-run campus news organization